Florence Copper Inc. awarded $4,000 in scholarships to seniors in the Florence Unified School District at their schools’ awards ceremonies on May 6th (Poston Butte High) and May 7th (Florence High). Stacy Gramazio, Florence Copper’s manager of communications and public affairs, presented the scholarships that evening.
This completes Florence Copper’s 9th year of the Creating Opportunities Scholarship Program. Students were asked to submit videos about the importance of copper in addition to other requirements. The winning videos are available on the Florence Copper YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/florencecopper. Each scholarship winner was awarded $1,000 to use at an accredited college or university. One Honorable Mention was awarded $150 in Visa gift cards.
Pictured left to right are Stacy Gramazio, Jessica Tu, Jackson Payne, and Isabel Garrido
Poston Butte High School Recipients
- Jessica Tu – Jessica plans to attend Arizona State University and study architectural studies. Jessica is a member of the STEM club and helped paint a mural at Poston Butte High School as part of the club’s activities. She is graduating with honors and was a working student during much of her high school career.
- Isabel Garrido – Isabel plans to attend UC Berkeley or Arizona State University and study engineering. She is an athlete who was the varsity captain of her school’s basketball team. Isabel was also president of the Future Business Leaders of America and volunteered for numerous nonprofit organizations.
Pictured left to right are Celeste Rose, Jeffrey Cordova, and Stacy Gramazio.
Florence High School Recipients
- Celeste Rose – Celeste plans to attend Grand Canyon University and study hospitality management. Celeste has been active in the National Honor Society and the Future Business Leaders of America at Florence High School. She also served as vice president of the Fashion Club and is graduating with high honors.
- Jeffrey Cordova – Jeffrey plans to attend Arizona Christian University and study biology. He has been an active in wrestling at his school and was named Athlete of the Year and Student of the Year. Jeffrey also served as a volunteer for the Special Olympics.
- Jackson Payne – Jackson has been a member of Poston Butte’s varsity tennis team, the engineering club, and the National Honor Society. He has been recognized for Outstanding Leadership and Excellence throughout his academic career.
“The talent and academic achievements from this year’s applicants were impressive,” said Stacy Gramazio, manager of communications and public affairs at Florence Copper Inc. “Congratulations to these bright kids who will be the leaders of Florence and Pinal County in the future.” Stacy Gramazio is available for interviews about the Creating Opportunities Scholarship Program, its history, and the selection process by calling (520) 374-3984.
ABOUT FLORENCE COPPER
Florence Copper Inc. is an in-situ copper recovery project in Florence, Arizona. Not a mine in the traditional sense, Florence Copper uses a water-based solution to dissolve and recover copper minerals from a deposit more than 400 feet below ground. The project, which is currently operating its initial test facility, offers a unique opportunity to generate economic benefit while at the same time protecting important resources. More information about the project is available at www.florencecopper.com.